History of Lizars

Founded in 1830 by John LIZARS in Glasgow to the 12 Glassford Street, the company produced first optical instruments but also glasses, then was directed towards the cameras after being last by the magic lanterns. Its products were famous for their innovations but also the quality of their manufacture and their materials as by the preoccupation with an elegance which characterized them. After the death of his father (1879), the junior daughter of John LIZARS, will marry with Matthew BALLANTINE who started again the management of the company. In 1892, it was relocated to the 101 Buchanan Street still in Glasgow where it thrived. It quickly had commercial offices in Ireland, Scotland and in London. The company still exists today under the name of “Black & Lizars” and is managed by the 4th generation of BALLANTINE. Its business remain optics but also the supply of photographic material and it is still present Buchanan Street in Glasgow.